Miss Universe 2025 controversy explained: Why Miss Mexico and the pageant director are at odds — and who apologized Allison DeGrusheNovember 7, 2025 at 10:07 PM 0 Fatima Bosch/Instagram; RUNGROJ YONGRIT/EPA/Shutterstock Miss Mexico 2025 Fátima Bosch; Nawat ItsaragrisilKey Points Miss Universe pageant director Nawat Itsaragrisil berated Miss Mexico Fátima Bosch during a prepageant event. Several contestants walked out in solidarity with Bosch. The Miss Universe Organization has since condemned the behavior and limited Itsaragrisil's role in the competition.
- - Miss Universe 2025 controversy explained: Why Miss Mexico and the pageant director are at odds — and who apologized
Allison DeGrusheNovember 7, 2025 at 10:07 PM
0
Fatima Bosch/Instagram; RUNGROJ YONGRIT/EPA/Shutterstock
Miss Mexico 2025 Fátima Bosch; Nawat ItsaragrisilKey Points -
Miss Universe pageant director Nawat Itsaragrisil berated Miss Mexico Fátima Bosch during a pre-pageant event.
Several contestants walked out in solidarity with Bosch.
The Miss Universe Organization has since condemned the behavior and limited Itsaragrisil's role in the competition.
Drama is unfolding behind the scenes of Miss Universe 2025 in Thailand.
During a pre-pageant event, pageant director Nawat Itsaragrisil publicly chastised Miss Mexico Fátima Bosch, leading to a tense back-and-forth exchange that resulted in several contestants walking out in support of Bosch.
The confrontation, which played out on a livestream, quickly went viral and garnered the attention of pageant followers worldwide. Bosch and Itsaragrisil, along with the Miss Universe Organization, have all spoken out about what transpired.
With details still emerging, Entertainment Weekly delves into the controversy and reveals what each side has said about the incident.
Who is Miss Mexico Fátima Bosch?
Fatima Bosch/Instagram
Miss Mexico 2025 Fátima Bosch
Fátima Bosch grew up in Santiago de Teapa, Tabasco, and has been chasing her pageant dreams for years. She first made her mark on the pageant scene by winning the Flor de Oro crown in 2018, but her profile rose considerably in September 2025 when she became Miss Universe Mexico.
Bosch made history as the first woman from Tabasco to take the crown, but it wasn't exactly a happy celebration. The live audience actually booed, and fellow contestants refused to congratulate Bosch because they believed someone else should have won.
Bosch took the boos in stride. "Nothing and no one will keep me from enjoying this crown," she told Us Weekly en Español in September.
Who is Nawat Itsaragrisil?
RUNGROJ YONGRIT/EPA/Shutterstock
Nawat Itsaragrisil with contestants at the official Miss Universe 2025 welcome event in Bangkok
Nawat Itsaragrisil is a famed TV personality from Thailand, who first made a name for himself hosting travel shows. He officially stepped into the pageant world in 2007 as an executive producer and director for Miss Thailand World. Itsaragrisil later founded his own pageants, Miss Grand International and Miss Grand Thailand.
His Instagram bio indicates that he is now the president of the Miss Grand International Organization and vice president of Miss Universe Asiana. In 2025, Itsaragrisil was named the director of Miss Universe Thailand and executive director of the Miss Universe organization.
What happened between Fátima Bosch and Nawat Itsaragrisil?
Miss Universe Thailand/Facebook
Miss Universe contestants walk out of a pre-pageant event in support of Miss Mexico 2025 Fátima Bosch
During a livestreamed pre-pageant event on Tuesday, Nov. 4, tensions flared when Itsaragrisil was shown berating Bosch in front of the other delegates.
The pageant director accused Bosch of skipping promotional activities, including a photoshoot that all contestants were expected to share on social media. He claimed Bosch was following orders from Mexico's pageant director, and she immediately stood up to deny the accusation.
Itsaragrisil interrupted Bosch's attempts to explain and demanded she confirm on the spot that she would post about Thailand. He continued to criticize her, even calling her a "dummy."
When he dismissed her, Bosch refused to sit. "I have a voice," she told Itsaragrisil, adding, "You are not respecting me as a woman."
Security was summoned, and several contestants, including reigning Miss Universe Victoria Kjær Theilvig, walked out in support of Bosch. As she exited the event, Bosch told Itsaragrisil, "As women, you need to show respect for us. I'm here representing a country, and it's not my fault that you have problems with my organization."
What has Fátima Bosch said about the controversy?
Following the confrontation, Bosch spoke out in a video shared on Instagram. "Your director is not respectful," she said in an interview. "He called me dumb."
Bosch went on to defend herself, saying she had followed the rules and remained kind throughout the whole experience thus far. "I think that's not fair because I am here. I do everything okay. I don't mess with anyone," she shared. "I just try to be kind. I think that the world needs to see this because we are empowered women, and this is a platform for our voice."
View this post on Instagram
In a Spanish-speaking interview, Bosch addressed her supporters back home. "I just want to let my country know, I'm not afraid to make my voice heard. It's here, stronger than ever, I have a purpose. I have things to say. We're in the 21st century, and I'm not a doll to be made up, styled, and have my clothes changed."
She concluded, "I came here to be a voice for all the women and all the girls who fight for causes and to tell my country that I'm completely committed to that."
Did Nawat Itsaragrisil apologize?
Miss Universe Thailand/Facebook
Nawat Itsaragrisil berates Fátima Bosch at a pre-pageant event
Itsaragrisil has issued multiple apologies for his actions. "If anyone [was] feeling not good, if anyone [was] not comfortable. If anyone [was affected], I do apologize to everyone," he said in a video shared on social media.
He followed up with an apology during a press conference on Wednesday, Nov. 5, where he tearfully expressed remorse over the incident. "I am human. I didn't want to do anything like that," he tearfully told the press, according to USA Today.
Itsaragrisil also apologized to the delegates in person during a pageant ceremony, turning to them and bowing as he spoke. "I want to take this opportunity to say something about something that's happened. Because I am a human. I think you must understand the pressure is a lot, I am a human sometimes. I cannot control. By the way, I have not intend to hurt anyone."
He went on to apologize to the Miss Universe community and those around the world who were upset by the viral dispute.
What has the Miss Universe Organization said about the controversy?
The Miss Universe Organization (MUO) shared a statement on Instagram emphasizing its commitment to "upholding the highest standards of respect, safety, and integrity for all participants, staff, and stakeholders."
According to the statement, a "high-level delegation," led by CEO Mario Búcaro, is on its way to Thailand "to strengthen collaboration with the host country, the Miss Grand International Organization (MGI), and relevant authorities." The group's goal, MUO said, is to ensure "a secure and professional environment for all delegates" and to reaffirm the organization's "commitment to transparency, respect, and unity."
The statement continues, "The Miss Universe Organization remains steadfast in its mission to promote collaboration, respect, and opportunity for women around the world, working hand in hand with all partners to ensure a safe, inspiring, and memorable experience for every delegate."
View this post on Instagram
That same day, the organization shared a video that featured Miss Universe president Raúl Rocha announcing that Itsaragrisil's role in the pageant would be restricted. "I have restricted Nawat's participation in the events that are part of the 74th Miss Universe competition, limiting it as much as possible or eliminating it entirely," Rocha said in Spanish (with English subtitles).
He continued, "I will not allow the values of respect and dignity towards women to be violated. [I have] great indignation towards Nawat for the public aggression he committed against Fátima Bosch, Miss Universe Mexico, whom he humiliated, insulted, and showed lack of respect to, [with] serious abuse by calling security to intimidate a defenseless woman. Nawat, you need to stop."
Rocha also urged MUO CEO Mario Búcaro to issue a formal statement outlining the "legal actions" the organization plans to pursue in response to Itsaragrisil's conduct.
Get your daily dose of entertainment news, celebrity updates, and what to watch with our EW Dispatch newsletter.
on Entertainment Weekly
Source: "AOL Entertainment"
Source: Entertainment
Published: November 07, 2025 at 12:37PM on Source: OPERA MAG
#ShowBiz#Sports#Celebrities#Lifestyle
Post a Comment