Kathie Lee Gifford 'wanted to die a few times' amid chronic pain battle

New Photo - Kathie Lee Gifford 'wanted to die a few times' amid chronic pain battle

Kathie Lee Gifford &x27;wanted to die a few times&x27; amid chronic pain battle Edward Segarra, USA TODAYTue, June 30, 2026 at 4:55 PM UTC 0 Kathie Lee Gifford isn&x27;t letting the wear and tear of life keep her down. The singer and Emmywinning talk show host opened up about her health journey in a new interview with People magazine published Tuesday, June 30. Within the past two years, the 72yearold has undergone a series of surgeries, including a total hip replacement in 2024.

Kathie Lee Gifford 'wanted to die a few times' amid chronic pain battle

Edward Segarra, USA TODAYTue, June 30, 2026 at 4:55 PM UTC

0

Kathie Lee Gifford isn't letting the wear and tear of life keep her down.

The singer and Emmy-winning talk show host opened up about her health journey in a new interview with People magazine published Tuesday, June 30. Within the past two years, the 72-year-old has undergone a series of surgeries, including a total hip replacement in 2024.

Gifford had to have a follow-up hip surgery after sustaining a fracture from being too physically active in her condition, People noted. In addition to her hip procedures, the former "Today" show host also underwent surgery for a broken arm and cataract treatment for her eyes.

"I wanted to die a few times," Gifford, whose husband Frank Gifford died in 2015, told the outlet. "I wasn't going to hurt myself. I wasn't going to kill myself. I just didn't want to be here – as blessed as I am.

"Frank said to me before he passed, 'When I go somewhere, I know what people are expecting from me. I want to be Frank Gifford when I go out,'" Gifford added. "I want to be Kathie Lee, the person they expect. I don't want to disappoint people.

"But when you're in pain, it's so debilitating, and everything's a grimace. I've had emotional pain many times in my life but never this chronic physical pain where you literally want to go home to Jesus."

Gifford, who broke out in the '70s with her role on the musical game show "Name That Tune," attributed much of her health troubles to decades of working in the entertainment industry.

Advertisement

"A lot of it was physical," Gifford said. "I remember doing 'Annie' at Madison Square Garden for five weeks over Christmastime [in 2006], and I played Miss Hannigan. I wanted to make it big so that the little kids sitting could see it. I did pratfalls."

Kathie Lee Gifford talks health: TV host on recovering from 'painful' hip replacement surgery

She added: "When I look back on all of these years in this industry, I go, 'I can't believe I didn't fall apart years ago.' I've never abused [my body], I just used it."

Amid the difficulties of her recovery, the TV personality said humor remained an important part of her resilience.

"I feel like Mr. Potato Head! One thing falls off and then another," Gifford joked. "But you have to have a sense of humor about everything. Thank God, I've never lost that, even in my bleakest moments. I'm a tough broad."

More celebrity health news: Ruby Rose hospitalized after breaking multiple ribs in pool accident

With the help of weekly physical therapy sessions and stem cell therapy, Gifford said her condition has improved considerably. The grandmother of five shared that she can now run "all over the place" and keep up with her grandkids.

"They're all fantastic," Gifford said. "I'm hoping, Lord willing, that I have many, many years with them."

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Kathie Lee Gifford details recovery from 'debilitating' chronic pain

Original Article on Source

Source: "AOL Entertainment"

Read More


Source: Entertainment

Published: June 30, 2026 at 01:09PM on Source: OPERA MAG

#ShowBiz#Sports#Celebrities#Lifestyle

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post